Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (FM3) is looking for a controller or experienced accounting manager to join our team. This is a full-time position in our Oakland office reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
FM3, a California “S” corporation with offices in Oakland, Santa Monica and Madison, Wisconsin, has specialized in public policy-oriented opinion research since 1981. FM3 offers a wide range of opinion research, communications strategy and consulting services to assist political candidates (Democratic or non-partisan), ballot measure committees, private sector corporations, non-profit organizations and government agencies.
On an annual basis, our 22-person company conducts as many as three hundred surveys and one hundred and fifty focus groups, frequently focusing on issues of major economic and social concern, including environmental quality; natural resource conservation; energy development; transportation planning and finance; health care; public finance; growth and property development, and the implications of public policy for ethnic and other demographic groups such as children and the elderly.
Consequently, FM3 employees are provided with a unique, behind-the-scenes view into how public policy and political decisions are made, and a richer understanding of high-profile political campaigns at the local, state and national level.
Responsibilities of the Controller will include, but are not limited to:
- Hands-on, day-to-day execution of all major accounting functions such as: GL, A/P, A/R, collections, fixed assets, payroll and bank reconciliation
- Completing bank reconciliations & cash forecasts
- Providing financial planning and analysis to inform strategic decision-making
- Generating annual budget forecasts
- Generating regular daily and monthly reports
- Issuing 1099’s
- Tracking employee time off and vacations
- Working with FM3’s CPA, providing data and support for tax & audit purposes, including local business taxes
- Assisting in establishment of procedures and policies
- Assisting in new hire orientation
- Interacting with employee benefits providers, including medical, vision, dental and retirement
- Assisting in the completion of responses to RFPs requiring financial documentation
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures of GAAP
- A high level of proficiency with QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to work both independently in a fast-paced, high volume and changing environment
- HR experience and experience working for small businesses – particularly those in the service industry, such as law or consulting firms – is a plus
- Familiarity with and an interest in the political environment and public policy issues is a plus
- Candidates must have a strong character, ability to excel in a dynamic team environment, and a commitment to delivering exceptional client service, given that our work environment requires interdisciplinary problem solving, often on compressed timelines
Compensation and Benefits
The position will offer a competitive compensation package (with annual performance-based bonuses) and full benefits, including health insurance and company contributions to 401k.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
FM3 is committed to diversity in its workforce. FM3 is an equal opportunity employer and insures the promotion of equal opportunity for all persons employed or seeking employment, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability status.