Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (FM3) is looking for a Business Development Associate to join our team. This is intended to be a full-time position in our Santa Monica office, though candidates interested in working out of our Oakland office may also apply.
FM3 has specialized in public policy-oriented opinion research since 1981 and offers a wide range of opinion research, communications strategy and consulting services to assist political candidates (Democratic or non-partisan), ballot measure committees, private sector corporations, non-profit organizations and government agencies.
On an annual basis, our 22-person company (with offices in Oakland, Santa Monica and Madison, Wisconsin) conducts as many as three hundred surveys and one hundred and fifty focus groups, frequently focusing on issues of major economic and social concern, including environmental quality; natural resource conservation; energy development; transportation planning and finance; health care; public finance; growth and property development, and the implications of public policy for ethnic and other demographic groups such as children and the elderly.
Examples of our recent electoral work during the November 2014 election include the winning campaigns of Governor John Kitzhaber in Oregon, six members of Congress, and seven members of the California State Legislature; nine successful statewide ballot measure campaigns (including Florida Amendment 1 – the largest conservation finance measure in the history of the United States – and measures in Oregon and Washington, D.C. legalizing recreational marijuana use); measures generating $2 billion in funding for local school districts and $1.5 billion in for community college districts; and 21 other local ballot measures (including Measure D in Berkeley, CA – the first successful soda tax ballot measure in the United States).
The Business Development Associate (BDA) is a new role within FM3 intended to streamline, improve and assume ownership of the company’s proposal and request for proposal (RFP) response processes. The primary responsibility of the BDA will be working with FM3 Researchers to write and compile proposals and responses to more complex government agency RFPs. As a part of this process, the BDA would also be responsible for identifying potential proposals and managing work-flow to ensure that selected proposals are submitted on-time and complete. Additionally, the BDA would assume responsibility for FM3’s other marketing activities, including the development and maintenance of client leave-behinds, content on FM3’s website, and FM3’s social media presence (currently Twitter). This position offers a unique opportunity to manage the bulk of an entire business function and to shape how its efficiency, effectiveness and scope develop in the future.
Specific responsibilities of the BDA position will include, but are not limited to:
- Writing and compiling proposals and responses to RFPs
- Creating and managing an inventory of current and future proposals to prioritize responses and ensure submission deadlines are met
- Creating and managing an inventory of past proposals and proposal content for future reference
- Searching for and identifying potential RFPs that fit well with FM3’s service offerings
- Assessing FM3’s current proposal and RFP response processes and recommending/implementing improvements
- Attending/participating in formal pre-proposal response meetings/Q&A sessions
- Managing and periodically updating proposal templates
- Developing PowerPoint presentations for pitch meetings when necessary
- Managing FM3’s online presence, including website content and social media
- Managing FM3’s existing, standalone marketing materials, and developing and expanding those materials in the future
- Developing expertise in and be able to promote the company’s services
- Keeping abreast of pertinent policy issues and changes in the local, state and federal political landscapes
- Assisting in the development, production, analysis and proofing of survey and focus group projects when needed during peak election seasons
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong process-management skills, with an attention to detail
- Prior experience writing proposals and RFP responses
- First-hand experience with electoral politics and public policy issues
- Social media experience and familiarity with basic online web design
- Prior marketing or sales experience a plus
- Bachelors degree required; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
- A high level of proficiency Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Candidates must have a strong character, ability to excel in a dynamic team environment, and a commitment to delivering exceptional client service, given that our work environment requires interdisciplinary problem solving, often on compressed timelines
Compensation and Benefits
The position will offer a competitive compensation package (including annual individual and company performance-based bonuses) and full benefits, including health insurance and company contributions to 401k.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter (as a single document) to email@example.com referencing “FM3 Biz Dev Associate Application” in the subject line. Be sure to include details on where you heard about this position and your salary requirements in your cover letter.
FM3 is committed to diversity in its workforce. FM3 is an equal opportunity employer and insures the promotion of equal opportunity for all persons employed or seeking employment, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability status.