Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (FM3) is looking for a Researcher to join our team. This is a full-time position in our Oakland office.
FM3 has specialized in public policy-oriented opinion research since 1981 and offers a wide range of opinion research, communications strategy and consulting services to assist political candidates (Democratic or non-partisan), ballot measure committees, private sector corporations, non-profit organizations and government agencies.
On an annual basis, our 22-person company (with offices in Oakland, Santa Monica and Madison, Wisconsin) conducts as many as three hundred surveys and one hundred and fifty focus groups, frequently focusing on issues of major economic and social concern, including environmental quality; natural resource conservation; energy development; transportation planning and finance; health care; public finance; growth and property development, and the implications of public policy for ethnic and other demographic groups such as children and the elderly.
Examples of our recent electoral work during the November 2014 election include the winning campaigns of Governor John Kitzhaber in Oregon, six members of Congress, and seven members of the California State Legislature; nine successful statewide ballot measure campaigns (including Florida Amendment 1 – the largest conservation finance measure in the history of the United States – and measures in Oregon and Washington, D.C. legalizing recreational marijuana use); measures generating $2 billion in funding for local school districts and $1.5 billion in for community college districts; and 21 other local ballot measures (including Measure D in Berkeley, CA – the first successful soda tax ballot measure in the United States).
FM3 Researchers work independently and collaboratively for election-oriented clients, and public and private sector entities. In conducting quantitative and qualitative research, Researchers are asked to articulate clients’ goals, develop the most appropriate research approaches and methodologies to achieve those goals, interpret research findings, and present strategic conclusions and recommendations. In conducting these tasks for a wide array of public and private clients, FM3 Researchers are provided with a unique opportunity to participate in public policy and political decisions, and develop a richer understanding of high-profile political campaigns at the local, state and national level.
FM3 Researchers are expected to quickly grow into the role of primary day-to-day contact for clients on survey and focus group research projects, though still under the guidance of a senior member of FM3’s research team. Additionally, after several years of experience with the company, Researchers are expected to develop the skills necessary to independently moderate focus groups.
Specific responsibilities of this Researcher position will include, but are not limited to:
- Drafting questionnaires for surveys conducted through telephone interviews, online panels, and in-person intercept interviews
- Drafting focus group discussion guides
- Conducting background research to inform survey questionnaire and focus group discussion guide design
- Analyzing and summarizing survey and focus group data
- Crafting strategic communications and policy recommendations
- Preparing written and graphic presentations of research findings
- Presenting research findings
- Drafting research proposals
- Keeping abreast of pertinent policy issues and changes in the local, state and federal political landscapes
- Contributing to the FM3’s evolving opinion research methodological approaches
- First-hand experience with electoral politics and public policy issues
- Prior experience conducting quantitative and qualitative opinion research
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, with an attention to detail
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Social media experience and familiarity with online web design a plus
- Bachelors degree required; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
- A high level of proficiency Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Candidates must have a strong character, ability to excel in a dynamic team environment, and a commitment to delivering exceptional client service, given that our work environment requires interdisciplinary problem solving, often on compressed timelines
Compensation and Benefits
The position will offer a competitive compensation package (including annual individual and company performance-based bonuses) and full benefits, including health insurance and company contributions to 401k.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter (as a single document) to email@example.com referencing “FM3 Researcher Application” in the subject line. Be sure to include details on where you heard about this position and your salary requirements in your cover letter.
FM3 is committed to diversity in its workforce. FM3 is an equal opportunity employer and insures the promotion of equal opportunity for all persons employed or seeking employment, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability status.