Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (FM3) is looking for a Research Associate to join our team. This is a full-time position in our Los Angeles office.
FM3 has specialized in public policy-oriented opinion research since 1981 and offers a wide range of opinion research, communications strategy and consulting services to assist political candidates (Democratic or non-partisan), ballot measure committees, private sector corporations, non-profit organizations and government agencies. (In other words, we’re political pollsters, but we conduct a wide variety of non-political opinion research as well.)
Our 24-person company (with offices in Oakland and Los Angeles) conducts as many as 300 surveys and 150 focus groups each year, focusing on issues of major economic and social concern, including environmental quality; natural resource conservation; clean and renewable energy development; transportation planning and finance; health care; education; public finance; drug reform policy; growth and property development; and the implications of public policy for groups such as people of color, children and seniors.
Examples of our recent work during the November 2016 election included helping to return Patty Murray to the U.S. Senate and sending three new Democrats to the House; legalizing marijuana for adults in Maine, Massachusetts, and Nevada; and passing soda taxes in San Francisco and Oakland. Additionally, FM3’s research helped pass important state and local finance measures, including a $9 billion California school bond; regional transportation measures in Los Angeles County, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Phoenix; the largest local parks measure in U.S. history (in LA County); and other local funding measures for services like schools, community colleges, road repair, public safety, parks and libraries for more than 40 communities.
FM3 Research Associates work collaboratively with senior members of FM3’s research team for election-oriented clients, and public- and private-sector entities. Initially, Research Associates provide support for more senior researchers by conducting background research on clients and their needs; drafting initial survey questionnaires, proposals, and summary reports; and compiling analytical and presentation requests for FM3’s Data Processing and Graphics teams. Eventually, successful Research Associates start independently running client meetings and presenting results. In conducting these tasks for a wide array of public and private clients, FM3 Research Associates are provided with a unique opportunity to participate in public policy and political decisions, and develop a richer understanding of high-profile political campaigns at the local, state and national level.
Specific responsibilities of this Research Associate position will include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting background research to inform survey questionnaire and focus group discussion guide design
- Drafting questionnaires for surveys conducted through telephone interviews, online panels, and in-person intercept interviews
- Analyzing and summarizing survey and focus group data
- Providing guidance for FM3’s Data Processing Team on how to compile cross-tabulated survey results on a project-by-project basis
- Providing guidance for FM3’s Graphics Team on presenting survey results on a project-by-project basis
- Preparing written presentations of research findings
- Drafting research proposals
- Editing and proofreading proposals, memos and reports
- Keeping abreast of pertinent policy issues and changes in the local, state and federal political landscapes
- Contributing to the FM3’s evolving methodological approaches to opinion research
- Presenting results to private and in public forums (e.g., city council and school board meetings)
- Moderating online focus groups
- First-hand experience with electoral politics and public policy issues
- Prior exposure to quantitative and qualitative opinion research
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, with an attention to detail
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Bachelors degree required; advanced degree such as an MPP or equivalent experience preferred
- A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, with any experience with GIS programs and Tableau a plus
- Social media experience and familiarity with online web design a plus
- Candidates must have a strong character, ability to excel in a dynamic team environment, and a commitment to delivering exceptional client service, given that our work environment requires interdisciplinary problem solving, often on compressed timelines
Compensation and Benefits
The position will offer a competitive compensation package (including annual individual and company performance-based bonuses) and full benefits, including health insurance and company contributions to 401k.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter (as a single document) to email@example.com with the subject line “FM3 Research Associate Application.” Be sure to include details on where you heard about this position and your salary requirements in your cover letter.
FM3 is committed to diversity in its workforce. FM3 is an equal opportunity employer and insures the promotion of equal opportunity for all persons employed or seeking employment, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age or disability status.