Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (FM3) is looking for a controller or experienced accounting manager to join our team. This is a full-time position in our Oakland office reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
FM3, a California “S” corporation with offices in Oakland, Santa Monica and Madison, Wisconsin, has specialized in public policy-oriented opinion research since 1981. FM3 offers a wide range of opinion research, communications strategy and consulting services to assist political candidates (Democratic or non-partisan), ballot measure committees, private sector corporations, non-profit organizations and government agencies.
On an annual basis, our 22-person company conducts as many as three hundred surveys and one hundred and fifty focus groups, frequently focusing on issues of major economic and social concern, including environmental quality; natural resource conservation; energy development; transportation planning and finance; health care; public finance; growth and property development, and the implications of public policy for ethnic and other demographic groups such as children and the elderly.
Consequently, FM3 employees are provided with a unique, behind-the-scenes view into how public policy and political decisions are made, and a richer understanding of high-profile political campaigns at the local, state and national level.
Responsibilities of the Controller will include, but are not limited to:
- Hands-on, day-to-day execution of all major accounting functions such as: GL, A/P, A/R, collections, fixed assets, payroll and bank reconciliation
- Completing bank reconciliations & cash forecasts
- Providing financial planning and analysis to inform strategic decision-making
- Generating annual budget forecasts
- Generating regular daily and monthly reports
- Issuing 1099’s
- Tracking employee time off and vacations
- Working with FM3’s CPA, providing data and support for tax & audit purposes, including local business taxes
- Assisting in establishment of procedures and policies
- Assisting in new hire orientation
- Interacting with employee benefits providers, including medical, vision, dental and retirement
- Assisting in the completion of responses to RFPs requiring financial documentation
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures of GAAP
- A high level of proficiency with QuickBooks and Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to work both independently in a fast-paced, high volume and changing environment
- HR experience and experience working for small businesses – particularly those in the service industry, such as law or consulting firms – is a plus
- Familiarity with and an interest in the political environment and public policy issues is a plus
- Candidates must have a strong character, ability to excel in a dynamic team environment, and a commitment to delivering exceptional client service, given that our work environment requires interdisciplinary problem solving, often on compressed timelines
Compensation and Benefits
The position will offer a competitive compensation package (with annual performance-based bonuses) and full benefits, including health insurance and company contributions to 401k.